Walks

Part of improving my self-care this past year or so has included finding joyful movement.  I have friends who run, who dance, who cycle - all sorts of physical activities.  Me?  I'm a walker.  It doesn't require any special gear.  I walk in street clothes, and general athletic shoes, and have not experienced any issues.

More than just exercise, walks have become a major stress reliever for me.  The physical act of walking helps burn off adrenaline and gives my body the physical activity to match with the anxiety I sometimes experience.  We do some family walks, and have some very interesting (and some very goofy) conversations.  When I go alone, walks are time to think, or to listen to a podcast and learn something new. Sometimes I to listen to music I love, and blow off a little steam, and to figuratively and literally get away from it all.  Whether I spend my walk in silence or listening to Dessa (my current musical obsession) , I always come back in a better place physically, mentally and emotionally.  


Two of my friends and I have come together with the goal to walk 1000 miles in 2021.  It feels attainable, if I stay consistent.  I guess time will tell.  In the past few months I've turned to walking when I feel anxious or have a lot on my mind...and the current state of affairs may have me at that goal by the end of June.  (heh)

What do you do to alleviate stress?  What is your favorite form of joyful movement?

Comments

Popular Posts