This Week's Freezer/Pantry Menu


                          

My ham, cheddar, green onion, quinoa, 'clean-out-the-fridge' egg pie.
 Currently, we have cut our grocery/household budget in half, to $80 a month.  That is for food, household items (cleaning supplies, paper goods, TP) and toiletries (shampoo, soap, etc.) for three people.  Because we have a substantial pantry and quite a lot in our freezer, we are able to eat well on less than $20 a week!  We are setting the other $80 aside each month, to make bulk purchases when needed.

So far this week I've just picked up a few deals.  Safeway had some special Just For You offers for me, and I loaded those onto my loyalty card.  With those and the coupons I had we got 3 8oz packages of shredded cheese (medium and sharp cheddar) for 1.18 each.  My price was 1.88, but I have the .35/1 coupons for the ones with a California cheese sticker.  Those double and take off .70 per package.  Oreos were $2 a package.  I had two $1/1 coupons, so we got two, which officially means we've bought more Oreos in the past month tha we did in the past few years.  Husband and I agreed to stick them in the pantry for a while, since we just had some a couple weeks ago.  Finally, with my card I was able to get bananas for .47 a pound.  Total spent was $6.19. 

The spaghetti sauce that was on sale at Target last week is no longer on sale, but it turns out that with the $1.50/2 coupon, they were still only .57 each. Not as good as a quarter apiece, but honestly, it's still a pretty great price. Pre-made spaghetti sauce is something I don't generally keep on hand - I make it from scratch - but it is handy to have at times when a meal needs to go on the table fast. It could save a trip for takeout, I'm sure!  I got four of them for $2.28.
When we get closer to the end of the sale week, I'll stock a couple of other things that are on sale.  Half gallons of milk are .88, broccoli crowns are $1 a pound and leaf lettuces are .88 a head.  We just don't need those items yet.  We're out of fresh potatoes, but we have dried, instant mashed and canned potatoes on hand, so I'm holding out to see if there is a great deal next week for St. Patrick's day.  We're also out of pretzels, but they have a good price on those at Sam's, so we'll probably get those when we get the $20 gift card from them. 

Here is this week's menu plan, based mainly on the pantry, freezer and produce on hand:

Breakfasts, some will repeat:
ham/egg/cheese/onion wedges, fresh oranges
peanut butter toast, applesauce
cereal or homemade granola, milk or vanilla yogurt, peach sauce


Lunches
leftovers when available
pbj on whole wheat, carrot sticks, applesauce
black bean burgers with burger toppings on whole wheat bread, oranges
big salad with cheese, fruit, croutons, etc.

Snacks
green smoothies w/whey protein
apple wedges w/peanut butter
cinnamon toast w/applesauce

Suppers, in no particular order:
tuna salad sandwiches, pickles, carrot&raisin salad, apples
hamburger helper lasagna, green beans, orange wedges, banana pudding
rabbit tacos (crunchy shells), cheese, lettuce, tomato, etc., refried beans, apple pie
BLT sandwiches, bean w/bacon soup, orange wedges
herb roasted chicken, sweet corn, marinated 3 bean salad, mashed potatoes, banana pudding
spiral ham slices, macaroni&cheese, broccoli, apple pie
shoyu turkey, brown rice, kimchee, steamed carrots

I'll need to get the broccoli, some napa cabbage to make more kimchee and I'll also pick up some milk and leaf lettuce.  What's on the menu at your house this week?

Shared on the Menu Plan Monday thread at http://orgjunkie.com 

Comments

Popular Posts