Groundhog Day

Shared at Homestead Barnhop

I never could remember how Groundhog Day works, but when we were going over DD's school lessons, I think I've finally got hold of it.  If there is a groundhog, and it comes out of its burrow and it's a bright sunny day, it will see it's shadow, be scared for some reason, and burrow back into the ground....6 more weeks of winter.  If it's a cloudy, overcast day, then the groundhog will come out and stay out...spring weather is right around the corner.

We had a cloudy, overcast day today, so that's a good sign for early spring weather, right?  In fact, our daughter spotted a V of low-flying geese today, flying north.  Another good sign!  We mentioned the geese to our friend Becky and she said, "You know how when there is a V of geese, one side of the V is longer than the other side?  Do you know why that side is longer?"

I wracked my brain, trying to remember if it had something to do with the lead goose getting tired and letting someone else take the lead for a while, so that everyone could stay evenly worked and rested.  I tried to remember if it had something to do with flying near their mates, and just as I was about to confess that I didn't know why one side of the V is longer than the other side, Becky said, "The one side is longer because it has more geese in it."

I love jokes like that.  And I love Becky.  She is the perfect person to tell that one, because she's a librarian.  Acutally, she's a Librarian...a real one.  And so we expect wisdom, and we get "One side is longer because it has more geese in it."

Awesome.

Meanwhile, DD and I spent the afternoon talking about how nice it will be to see pretty green shoots of grass springing from the earth...how lovely it will be to see the sand lilies blooming....how we can hardly wait for the orchard to burst into bloom.

Then it snowed, five inches.  More on the way, with high winds.

But according to the weather today...spring weather will be here soon.  It was cloudy...and shadow-less...and we are ready for sand lilies!

Until the balmy spring breezes blow...until the pretty green shoots of grass spring forth...until the sand lilies bloom, I have to ask you....do you know which side of a chicken has more feathers?

Do you?

Photobucket

the outside

I'm sorry,
-Laura at TenThingsFarm

Comments

Popular Posts