Books & Buds - January

Oh, hi!  I wanted to do a quick book and audio roundup for January - what I've been reading and listening to.  I love to read, and to learn, and I also love to share what I've been enjoying.  Hopefully, you'll share what you've been reading too.  It's awesome to get book recommendations from others! 

Books!

I read a few this month that I really liked.  I discovered Sarah Pinsker a couple months ago, and this book of short stories was really enjoyable.  She has a writing style that draws me in.  I admit, I was pleasantly surprised, because I'm not really a sci-fi reader, but her work is mostly sci-fi.  She writes from different perspectives, and I like the way she blends futuristic ideas with that part of human nature that resists change.  

Saving Ruby King had some plot twists I did NOT expect, and a historical perspective that gave me a lot to think about in relation to family, family ties, the history we know...and the history we don't.  It takes place in parts of the US that were near to places I've lived, which also held my attention.  This is Catherine Adel West's first novel, and I look forward to more from this promising author.



A Tale of Two Kitties is my first ever cozy mystery, and it was super fun.  I love cats (that's an understatement), and the cats in this series have magical powers.  I have not read many mysteries, and really enjoyed the sprinkling of clues throughout the story.  I hope to read more by Sofie Kelly.  Daughter of Molokai is sequel to one of my all-time favorite novels - Molokai.  Alan Brennert does a great service to his readers, weaving history into his stories in a way that is not only captivating, but provides a great deal of depth.  My husband is from Hawaii, and I lived there a few years, and these stories (along with his book, Honolulu) are like a visit back.  I re-read Molokai about once a year, and even though I know the story, I'm still moved by it as it is told.  Moving forward, I'll likely read both Molokai and Daughter of Molokai again and again.  

Buds - as in, what's been in my earbuds!

One of my January goals was to try out a new podcast.  I tried a couple, and may have found a keeper!  I like TED Daily, but the podcasts are really short - many are just 5 to 10 minutes.  That means I'm fiddling with my phone a lot, trying to get to the next episode or find something else to listen to.  While I like the content, it's not as practical as a longer podcast, especially when I'm walking.  The new one I'm really enjoying is Code Switch, produced by NPR.  They take a deep dive into a topic, but the podcasts are still about 30-45 minutes - perfect for walking!  The subject matter is helpful for me right now, too, because I'm learning about perspectives and life experiences that are not necessarily my own.  I've added Code Switch to my podcast subscriptions, which also include Brene' Brown's Unlocking Us, Shankar Vedantam's Hidden Brain, and Laurie Santos' The Happiness Lab.  

The other thing in my ears during January was the audio book Burnout:  the Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle, by Emily and Amelia Nagoski.  This is my second listen to this book, and I gleaned even more from it this time around.  This book resonates so deeply with some of the places I struggle, and has data-driven solutions to reduce the impact of stress and live life in community.  I cannot recommend this book enough!

Finally, my ears have been soaking up some music!  Mostly, I've had Dessa's album Badly Broken Code on repeat.  I discovered her music through the NPR show Live From Here, and I've been listening to her for a few years now.  She does some hip-hop and rap...and collaborates with the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra.  The range of her work amazes me, and her lyrics are incredible.  If you've never given Dessa a listen, I encourage you to check her out!

That's what's been in my eyes and ears for January.  What have you read or listened to that you want to share with the world?

Comments

Sharon Schulze said…
In January I made a conscious effort to get back into reading (life-long book fiend, but for reasons too numerous to explain, I only read a couple of books in early 2020). I chose "Fear Nothing" by Lisa Gardner (a favorite author) to jump back into books, and it didn't disappoint. Couldn't put it down! If you enjoy crime drama/psychological thrillers, I highly recommend Lisa's books.

My next choice was a complete change of pace from the Gardner book; Sheri Cobb South's John Pickett mysteries. Set in Regency-era London, the books center around Bow Street runner/former thief John Pickett. I'd been wanting to start the series for a while, but hadn't for some reason--but happened upon the first 5 books as an ebook boxed set for $1.99! I swept through the set quickly, then picked up the next 5-book set (at full price, lol) and read that as well. I enjoyed the series, and would recommend it for anyone who likes well-researched Regency mysteries and/or romances.

I haven't decided what to read next, but am seriously leaning toward the first Game of Thrones book. My husband has all the books so far (he's been a fan since the first book, long before the TV series--which we're currently watching (nearly done with season 5)), in the original 3" - 4" thick hard bound copies. I'm not sure I want to read those, they're awkward and heavy, lol--but I could always buy the ebooks!

Popular Posts