January Goals

In January I plan to do a flat-lay photo for the blog...minus the cat hair and pencils with teeth marks on them.

I started listing monthly personal goals several months ago. What a difference!  I have a paper planner, and I write those monthly goals on a single sheet, add a TON of stickers (which I got free from a lady on the local 'It's Free!' Facebook page), then review them weekly/roll bits of them into the weekly plan.  I have always been very motivated to cross items off a to-do list, and I think that's what makes this work well for me.  

I know it's January, and a lot of folks make resolutions, and plan to make themselves a "better person".  That's not what this is about.  I won't be a better person if I do all the things on my list, and the same goes for you.  I might feel better physically, or have a sense of capability that I can plan and follow through, but none of this is meant to imply worth, or lack of worth as a human being.    

My goals are mostly about time management and drinking less soda (because, left to my own devices, I'd spend all my free time playing on Facebook and drinking soda.)  You might have financial goals, something you want to learn, or a project to complete.  Whatever you want to accomplish, if you're like me, writing it down, breaking it down, and reviewing the list can be really helpful.  Some people like to post them for the whole family to see.  I do NOT like to do that, because I don't want to be "reminded" when I am busy drinking soda and playing on Facebook, but you should definitely do what works for you!

Here's my January list:

    65 miles of dedicated walking (going-for-a-walk rather than counting the day's steps with a fitbit, which I do not even own)                

    *resistance train 2 days/week (I have been very resistant to this goal - pun intended.)

    100% of fluid intake goal as water by end of the month

    meditation 2 days/week

    try one new podcast (listen to at least 2 episodes)

    *watch 2 Craftsy videos

    sell or donate 10 or more items

    *do a Japanese language lesson on my work break 4x/week

    paint one watercolor painting

    make paper birds (a project idea that I have)

    *develop a blogging routine

    *create 1 flat-lay photo for blog

                    *indicates goals that are new additions this month

pine cone treats for the birdies

Looking back at December, I did most of the things I intended to do.  I had a goal to walk 60 miles - and I walked just over 73!  I got better about getting to bed on time (10pm) and getting up at 6am, so I have time for morning chores, a walk, etc. before work.  I developed a telework routine for the days I'm home, and we did all our holiday related activities:  making treats for the birds, making some holiday ornaments, driving around to look at holiday lights, and making some treats for us!  I did finish a watercolor painting - I did not finish a crochet project I started (um...in December of 2019), didn't make the paper birds, and I didn't start the resistance training (again, I'm resistant to that).  Still, I got more done than I would have without a list.

cinnamon-orange rolls for us...yum!

I painted this turtle using a free online tutorial.  I still have a LOT to learn.

The beards used to be a long strip - a 'tail' when our teen was a preschooler.  Aw!

Do you set personal goals?  What is your process, and what are you working on currently?

Hope to year from you,

-Laura

Comments

Popular Posts