Saturday, March 6, 2010

Pasta, pasta, and more pasta!

Safeway had a pasta sale this week, and 1 lb. packages of store-brand pasta were 50 cents. I haven't seen the price that low in years, and lately, even my cost with sales and coupons on the name brand stuff has been more than that. Plus, when I get pasta on sale with a coupon, it's often something 'fancy'. I needed to stock up on the basics.

Macaroni, salad macaroni, linguine, fettuccine, spaghetti. They were out of some things, so I took the sale ad to WalMart and price matched for WalMart's store brand. Did you know about that? If a supermarket has a really good price on a store-brand item, you can price match at WalMart for their store brand. That allowed me to get wide egg noodles, extra wide egg noodles and lasagna noodles. Woot!!
Photobucket

Thanks to freecycle, I have storage for them too. I got these over a year ago, and I'm still not using all of them. They are 1 gallon size.
Photobucket
I'll put all the little stuff into jars and I have some gasket-sealed buckets for the long noodles and lasagna.

Safeway also had string cheese on sale for $1.99. I had some coupons for $2 off, so I made 1 penny profit on each bag. The flour was 69 cents a bag (5 lb.) after sale and coupons. The coffee drinks were at Walgreens, 25 cents each after coupons.
Photobucket

I learned last night that Albertson's is doubling coupons, so that means I can get free frozen vegetables too!

So...what is your favorite pasta dish? I think I'll be looking for some new recipes to add to our repertoire.

2 comments:

Prairie Farmstead Ponderings said...

I love pasta. Darling Husbie, not so much. So, I tend to make all my pasta dishes when he is gone for training or missions, etc. Heehee!

With spring and summer around the corner, I'll be craving a good pasta salad, loaded with cheese and veggies.

Keli said...

No, I didn't know that! Thanks for the info!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails