Sunday, January 3, 2010

Some Good Bread

These are two very, very different breads, but both turned out great!

Photobucket
If you like artisan breads, and want something that's beyond easy, give this one a try. Here are links to the recipe and an article. I did the first one with unbleached all purpose flour. The second time I made it I used some fresh-milled hard white wheat, and it was still really good. Next time I think I'm going to try some rye.

A quick video tutorial for your enjoyment:


In the video they toss the dough into an enameled cast iron dutch oven. I don't have one, but I do have a cast iron dutch oven - that worked fine too. I also tried using a large round glass (pyrex) casserole dish with a lid, and that worked equally well. The unusual (and easy) preparation method makes this a fun bread to try, and it's got a great texture.

Photobucket
This was our Christmas Morning bread...or coffeecake? I actually got the recipe from one of the America's Test Kitchen Books - the 2008 one. In that book there is a typo, and it calls for 1/3 cup of milk instead of 1 1/3 cups milk. I managed to fix it, but it was a bit frustrating. I was glad to find the recipe online and make the needed correction. Oh, also - in the book, there was no orange zest in the filling, no orange juice in the glaze - it was strictly almond, and very delicious! I made my own almond paste to cut costs, and it came out just great!

Do you bake? Have a favorite recipe to share? Leave a comment with a link to your favorite recipe (online, on your blog (which would also be online), etc.). Happy baking!

3 comments:

Scottish Witch said...

Your breads look wonderful. I made my weekly bread this morning. I put my recipe over here on my blog

http://daysgonebyfromascottishwitch.blogspot.com/2010/01/new-post-new-year-new-start.html

Just a plain style but very good and freezes oh so well.

Prairie Farmstead Ponderings said...

I'm going to have to give both of these breads a try, Dearie. They look delicious ~ but then I'm a softy for homemade bread just like my cheese and green chiles. Heehee!

Bama Girl said...

Hi Laura! I made this bread this week: http://simplypractical.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-recipe-for-no-knead-bread.html It is very similar to the recipe above. Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails