Second Friday of the Month

It started with a church sale, where we got Little Bit the best Pooh Bear/Tigger snow boots ever, for $2.

When we were paying for them, one of the ladies gave me an info sheet about a group called Crossfire Ministries. They do many things in the community. One of those things is a quilting ministry. I called a couple months ago and learned they were skipping December because of all the other things going on, but that they'd start up again in January.

We went on Friday, Little Bit an I. I met some lovely ladies, and she had a morning-long play date with a new friend.

First, there was 'show and tell', where various ladies showed projects they had completed, things they were working on, etc. There were many - this was just one:

Photobucket

How cute is that! The lady who (whoo!) made that one brought in several completed quilts, which she promptly donated. They were labeled like this:

Photobucket

After show-and-tell, it was time to get to work. Some ladies were cutting, some were sewing. I was helping tie some quilts that had already been pieced:

Photobucket

We did three today. First, a backing for the underside of the quilt, then the batting layer. These quilts are given to families who need them to keep warm. Demand is very high, so they use donated sheets for the backing and they repurpose mattress pad tops for the batting.

Photobucket

Next, everything gets adjusted and stretched, then we start tying. We stitched double strands of tying twine through the center of each square.

Photobucket

Clip, tie, trim.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

When that one was done, we took a lunch break. Chairs were put around that same table and everyone sat down to eat, talk, get to know one another. There were a few of us that were new to the group, but everyone was so welcoming and friendly that by lunch time, I felt like I already knew people just a little.

We tied one more quilt after lunch. This one is pretty too, isn't it?

Photobucket

There were quilts made from all sorts of fabrics in all sorts of sizes. Finished pieces, works in progress, boxes of 'Does anyone want to take this home and see what they can do with it before our next gathering?' It was amazing, and cool, and fun.

As everyone was leaving, one of the ladies said, "We'll see you in February!"

When we got in the car, Little Bit asked me, 'How long is it until February?'

I'm counting the days until next time too!

I wonder - do they realize how much this ministry goes in both directions? I mean, sure - giving quilts to people is a great thing, but giving people an opportunity to gather and make those quilts? That's pretty amazing too.

Comments

I am so happy for you that you have found this, Laura ~ and that you have your hubby's blessings to attend! How wonderful that you and Little Bit are both able to participate.

I just received another invitation to attend a meeting of a quilter's guild through one of our local churches. I've been on the fence about going for quite some time now. Perhaps you've just given me a little nudge...

Love and hugs to you ~ always.
Ella said…
Me too...So happy that you a little bit have found lovely ladies to enjoy time with once a month and for such a wonderful reason. All gathering together as sisters in Christ! WhooHoo
Hugs, GG
My grandma use to do these quilts. Brings back memories.
Laura said…
You should go, Farmer J - I am not great at sewing or anything like that, but I was still able to be useful, and I had a truly wonderful experience!

My mom called me about this post, to say that even wehre she is (in the heart of quilt country), groups like this are, well, in my words, aging. These skills will be lost if more people don't get involved. You don't have to be a seamstress to help. Find a quilting group near you and join them - I don't think you will be sorry! :)
I never saw this post, I would love to be able to do this as well. I must look into it,

Gill in Canada

Popular Posts