Menu Plan Monday, Etc.

Hello, Dearies!

What a busy weekend! We had things to do, places to go and people to see. We also had some warm weather...kinda sorta...since last week's highs were 8 degrees, 12 degrees, etc...over the weekend it was up in the 20's and 30's and felt really nice!

Once again, I have a little bit of repeating the menu from last week, simply because we didn't quite get to all the planned foods. Not to worry - they are items from the freezer or pantry, so they remain available and ready to go. Here's what we've got planned for the week, in no particular order:

hamburgers on whole wheat, baked fries (homemade), pickles, tomatoes, 'fixins', fruit smoothies.

egg rolls, won ton saimin w/vegetables, orange wedges.

petite sirloin steaks, baked sweet potatoes with cinnamon butter, green bean casserole, garlic toast (maybe - we'll see) and baked apples.

nachos and/or tostadas, fresh homemade salsa w/chips, orange wedges.

Korean tacos, kimchee fried rice (both new recipes - will post if they work out), plums and pizelles

chicken noodle soup, grilled cheese on whole wheat, apple wedges

smoked sausage w/onions, mashed potatoes, steamed cabbage, orange wedges

I've got some prep for all this. I have to get won bok (napa cabbage) and get the kimchee made, and I have to get some of the cross rib roast from Safeway. It's on sale, they were out, so I wasn't able to get it just yet. We'll have that meal later in the week anyway. Can you tell that oranges are on sale? They are really good ones, too - I might get more before the sale ends.

In other cooking and eating news, I got a half gallon of buttermilk on markdown for 39 cents! We had buttermilk pancakes for Sunday breakfast, and today and tomorrow I'll be making pancakes, waffles, muffins, biscuits, etc. to put in the freezer. I've switched almost entirely to whole wheat pastry flour for foods like these, in place of the all purpose flour. This increases our fiber, vitamins and minerals, and the stick-to-the-ribs factor. A whole wheat biscuit keeps you going for a long, long time.

I started the recipe last night, and today I'm making orange marmalade. I can hardly wait! It's not difficult to make (recipe in the Ball Blue Book of Home Canning), but it has to sit 12-18 hours after you chop everything and bring it to a simmer. In a few hours I'll be cooking it down, adding the sugar and canning. This is my first time making orange marmalade - I can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm planning to come back tomorrow and post pics of the process.

Finally, for those of you who are clicking over from the Menu Plan Monday link at orgjunkie.com, welcome! If you want to see more of my blog, go to the top, click the TenThingsFarm banner, and it gives you the whole blog. And, by all means, come back any time! :) Look on the right-hand side for ways to subscribe, become a follower, etc.

Have a wonderful week, everyone!

Comments

Popular Posts