Apples are starting!

We had a big wind storm yesterday that blew some apples off our trees, so I'm making our first applesauce of the season.

I don't mean to sound like a whiner, but the apples look terrible this year. We had quite a bit of hail this year, and most of the apples have little dents on them, and the flesh under the dents is browned. It means a lot of extra peeling and cutting away to use the apples, and it means we probably won't be able to store them for fresh eating, since it looks like they all have some damage.

On the bright side, I can try making an apple chutney if I don't run out of jars!

Today I put up 7 pints of chili sauce and made 7 pints of applesauce. I didn't can the applesauce yet - I want to can quarts, so I'm going to put the first batch in the fridge, make more tomorrow, then combine the two batches and can them.

Other than that, we're staying busy with chicks (3 so far) and that Organized Christmas thing. The living room looks so nice! Pictures soon - I'm just too sleepy right now!

Comments

mentalutopia said…
I made apple chutney last year and it is YUMMY!!!!!

Popular Posts