More Fruit!

My friend MaryBeth called yesterday. She had used all the peaches she was going to use, and offered me some. This is wonderful, because this year we cut the old peach tree way, way back. It needed it desperately, but it means a very light peach harvest for us this year.

I've sorted them, and processed about a third of the peaches from MaryBeth. I froze 3 pints, and dried about 4 trays in the dehydrator. I soaked them in a citric acid/water solution first, and they really kept their color nicely!
Photobucket
I have quite a few frozen, I have jam, so I'll likely dehydrate the rest as they finish ripening/softening. Thank you so much, MaryBeth! As always, you're such a blessing.

Take a look at this.
Photobucket

Ten pints of crushed pineapple. Except....it's not pineapple. However, it tastes just like crushed pineapple.

A bunch of my friends at Prairie Homemaker were talking about making this, and I was a little skeptical that it would really taste like pineapple, but it does.

It's zucchini.

Really.

You peel it, grind it up (take the seed/spongy stuff out of the big ones) and mix it with lemon juice, sugar and pineapple juice. And mercy me, it really does taste just like crushed pineapple. You can make chunks too, but I started with this because I have a lot of frozen fresh pineapple chunks (actual ones) in my freezer. I had planned to use this in muffins, carrot cake, watergate salad, etc., but Little Bit told me that it's pineapple sauce, like applesauce, but chunkier, and can we open a jar now and eat it?

Truly, I am amazed, and thrilled, with such an unusual way to use zucchini. Also, you can use the really big ones in this - they work great. MaryBeth gave me a couple of 'baseball bat' zucchini yesterday, and they went right into this batch.

If you want to give it a try (you can also freeze it if you don't want to do canning) the recipe is here. Thanks to LydiaLin for that recipe. Yum!

Comments

stacey said…
i love it! yay for marybeth!
Laura said…
Yay for MaryBeth indeed! I forgot to take her some eggs the other day, so we stopped by today, and she rewarded me with two baseball bat zucchinis - woot!
vicvic said…
Again with the terrific recipes!

Popular Posts