Looks like we'll be having chicken soup.

My original plan was to have 12 white plymouth rock hens and 1 white laced red cornish rooster. The hatchery sent me some white rock roosters mixed in with the hens (I ordered 13 hens but got 10 hens and 3 roosters), and I ended up keeping one. I thought it might be good to have him around so we could breed our own white rocks.

However, with only 10 hens and 2 roosters, my hens were looking scruffy. I wasn't too bothered by that, but today, I found a hen with an actual rip in the skin on her back. I'll be isolating her from the flock whilst she heals. She's actually healing fine, but I don't want the roos to re-injure her.

I'll spare you photos of the injury, but I'll say that it doesn't look too bad. Still, we can't have the roosters literally tearing up the girls.

Ten hens just aren't enough for two roosters, so I think that white rock roo is headed for freezer camp. He seems like a good rooster, as roosters go, but he just doesn't fit in with our plans for the flock. Sigh.

Comments

Popular Posts