The Gift Stash

I was reading something somewhere a while back, and a lady mentioned going to her 'gift closet' to get a birthday present for a nephew. I'd never really heard of a gift closet, but the more I read, the better it sounded.

Basically, it's a stash of nice things - homemade, handcrafted, purchased on sale and/or out of season, that makes life a little less stressful. All you need is a space for some items, and then, some items.

The past several months, I've kept an eye out for things that would make nice gifts for friends and family. Now, with Christmas approaching, I have far less shopping to do, because I've already gotten some nice things here and there. I feel less stressed already! I've also been able to take advantage of some great sales.

For example, remember back in August and September when all the school supplies were on sale for such great prices? I gathered a few things then to make 'art sets' for some kids we know. Better yet, once the excitement of 'back to school' had past, there were tons of things on clearance for even less than those great sale prices. I was able to gather crayons of all sizes, colored pencils, watercolors, glue and glue sticks, construction paper and drawing paper, pencils, markers, fingerpaints, scissors, stickers....all sorts of neat stuff!

I think the secret to the Gift Stash is to gather things with specific people in mind, but I've also gotten a few things that would be a nice gift for just about anyone. So, if you find a great deal on gloves, candles, socks...pick up a couple, but not too many.

Do you do this? Have you done this? If so, what is in your gift stash?

Comments

Scottish Witch said…
I have something similar but I use Rubbermaid totes. I have 2 that have craft stuff, candles, small picture frames etc and at the after Xmas sales I tend to pick up more. This past year because of renovations I've not bought so much but I'm hoping to get some great stuff on clearance this year after Xmas again.

I think it's a great idea especially for those unexpected moments. Certainly makes it easier.
Anonymous said…
I've had a gift closet ~ well, since the move, it's more like two gift drawers ~ for a couple of years now. It's great when you need a little gift for some unexpected occassion!

There's all sorts of nifty things in there like gourmet chocolate, candles, stationery, special coffee mugs, gourmet coffee and hot cocoa, lotions and potions, crystal trinket boxes, magnetic memo pads...and the list goes on and on.

I'm always on the look-out for little things on clearance. Most of the time I do not have anyone specific in mind, but it always seems to work out.

Enjoy your gift closet and enjoy the less-stress holidays!
Laura said…
You know what, I don't have a closet to spare for this either! Right now, all the pressies are on the floor of my closet in our bedroom, but that means I can't find anything...so I am going to free up a rubbermaid tote when I declutter our basement. :)
Ella said…
I do this too and find it very helpful when I need a quick gift.

I also keep all my samples in there and when I get a couple of large bags full, I add the cosmetic and toiletries to little baskets with little candles, lotions and what not.

Blessings, GG

Popular Posts