Not Buying (sort of) Worked!

Progress...not perfection. Progress...not perfection.

I said I wasn't going to stock up on stuff this past month, that I'd just buy stuff we 'needed'. My focus - the grocery/household/toiletries budget.

Then, along came a sale where I got some stuff free with coupons. It is stuff we use (sour cream, Frank's Red Hot sauce, Cattlemen's BBQ sauce, etc.) so I did do some stocking up. There was also a sale/coupon combo where I got 10 oz. packages of smoked sausage or bratwurst for a quarter each. Got those too - ten of them, for the freezer. I got 7 lb. of Purina cat food for Mr. Morton, with coupons, for 32 cents. He already had some, so technically, he didn't 'need' it.

However, I did spend less this month. Our budget for this stuff is $180 a month, and at the end of the month, I had $64.47 left. I was more careful about buying stuff 'just to stock up', and it made a difference! So I'm going to do it again this month. I'm rat-holeing $60 of this month's money too. It should be totally do-able, with all the produce from the garden. And when the Fall order for nuts, seeds, dry fruit and snacks comes up with the co-op, we'll have the $$ ready!

How are you doing with not spending? What is your challenge for August?

Comments

Scottish Witch said…
My challenge will be making a budget, especially grocery wise and sticking to it. I bought some groceries at a farmer's market today and I'll go to another one tomorrow. I plan to buy some apricots etc and see about jam and drying them. I don't have a dehydrator so I'll have to google a way to do it without one.

I also want to declutter and get moving with my business.

Here's hoping.
Laura said…
We used to dry apples on an outdoor table when I was a kid. Mom would put a sheet or cloth of some sort, then the apples, then a sheer curtain (to keep the bugs off). It took longer, but it worked!

BTW, apricots need to be treated somehow before drying. The easiest choice is lemon juice in some water, to help prevent them from browning.

I have a long to-do list myself...so I completely understand. Sometimes, I look at it and just go take a NAP. Hee.

Popular Posts